Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My First Dayboard

So East Kingdom University was in April in Bangor, Maine. Awhile back I had decided to try my hand at preparing a dayboard for an event. I've always loved cooking, and as my persona that of an Osteria owner, I felt it only appropriate.

I was given the opportunity to prepare the meal for about 200 people. I wanted it to be warming, good, and as close to gluten free as possible, while still being period. I went with the basics. A pottage, a meat, fruit, cheese, and rice. All items are of course period, although the chicken thighs a more "high end" options for some during those times.
The line for dayboard. The hallway was short, but the line extended down the adjacent hallway.
The first item, was a pottage. Garlic, Onions, Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, and  Bacon. Boiled in salted water with pepper. The carrots did not end up as soft as I would have liked, but for later reference will pre-boil them to get the desired texture.

The rice was a brown rice, with garlic. Nothing fancy, but still apropos and yummy. There was also bread, with a garlic butter and an orange butter to offer. Very easy, but delicious.

The chicken was baked, and served cold. Rubbed with oil, and salt and pepper before cooking. Also went over quite well.


 The rest was simple fare. Sliced Cheese, Cottage Cheese with Sage and Thyme, "Scarborough Sauce" (a special sauce of mine that is secret weapon), sliced oranges and apples, strawberries, and pickles. Here is a photo that someone graciously took of their plate. 

Someone's perfect feast gear graciously decorated the dayboard. Top right is the pottage, and on the plate (clockwise from the right) chicken, strawberries, pickles, brown rice with garlic, apples, cottage cheese with herbs, carrots (from the pottage), and bread. 

It was my first attempt, and a successful one. However, there was no way I would have been able to pull this off without the help from my wonderful kinsmen. To Lord Neville and Lady Kathryn, I thank you. And to Lady Finnoula, my household, Lady Shyvan, Mama and Papa Longstrider, Sally, Aziz, and anyone else I may have missed (with my most sincere apologies) - None of this would have been possible without you. Your help and company made this a wonderful experience. I'm forever in your debt.

The hard work put into the dayboard was not unnoticed. At GNE this year, I was awarded with The Queen's Honor of Esteem for preparing the dayboard. I learned that a dear friend had written me in.


Unfortunately I wasn't present in court to receive it because I was...  cooking breakfast for my household. I have a favorite place when at an SCA event... and it's in a kitchen. Thanks again for reading! Stay tuned for more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment