Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Path to Peerage - Part 1.5

At the end of January every year, the Barony of Stonemarche hosts "A Market Day at Birka". An event based off of the Viking trading post, welcoming all manner of SCAdian to peruse the market place and see what the East Kingdom has to offer. It is a wonderful event filled with warm hearts and cool surroundings. In my five years in the Society, I've not missed one yet.

This year, was especially important for me as I took another vital step in my "SCA Career"...

A few years ago I was approached my Maestra Imigla Venture, asking if I would like to be her student. Naturally I knew what it meant, but I didn't realize how it would start to mold my experience within the society.  Since that first question, I have tried to expand my knowledge and become more involved in the Kingdom of the East. Naturally, I have much more to learn and do - but what I have done has gotten me where I am today. 

On Saturday, I was officially made Apprentice to Maestra Venture. There was an intimate gathering of some of our beloved friends to bear witness, and I could not feel more humbled and honored. I wrote up a simple contract for the both of us and my Household Matriarch read it aloud for those in attendance. It read:

"This indenture made the 28th day of January during the reign of Brion and Anna of the East shall witness that Lady Elvira Violante Ballesteros does bind herself prentice to Maestra Imigla Venture so that she may expand her studies in cookery and other diverse arts.

During which term Elvira shall this term serve in good faith, keep her Misstress' council and the lawful commandments of same. Elvira shall not withdraw unlawfully from service nor flee for any reason until she has completed her apprenticeship. In return Imigla Venture does pledge to provide for Elvira should she be lacking in shelter, food, or clothing.

Until by agreement that these terms be ended, Elvira shall serve in good faith and all implied therein."

With this development I'm planning to really step up my game. I'm planning to teach a class or two this year, as well as cook my first feast! Dayboards have been my main source of service and study as of the last year, and this year it's time to try for bigger things. I'm also hoping to post a lot more as far as research and my studies. 

Again, thank you to those that made it to this lovely occurrence and I am deeply honored to be continuing on such a prestigious path. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment